2020. What a year.
Looking back at my 2019 wrap-up, and what I thought 2020 would hold for me.
The definite goals:
- Old World Army Challenge 3 (Wood Elves) - Success!
- Giants in April -Fail!
- Deadcember - Success!
Although I didn't paint any giants in April, I exceeded my expectations for the Wood Elf project I planned for the Old World Army Challenge.
By the time December got here, the year had been such a trainwreck, I felt like I would be OK with painting just a single undead figure to keep distantly in the spirit of things. When I got a little time to paint more than that, I was thrilled -- even if none of it was anything I had planned on painting.
In addition to the above "definite" goals, I had a list of "dream" goals.
- Hobbits/JTC. I'm having some issues getting the remaining figures to round off my ideal regiment sizes, but I think I'll go ahead and get going on what I've got.
- Humans/JTC. I've probably got near 100 infantry and 12 light cavalry.
- Misc. Humans. To be used as bandits, outcasts, militia, low-grade mercenaries, etc. Roughly 60 infantry, 12-15 heavy cav.
- Shields for the sea elf spear unit.
- Sea elf fish mage, banshee, and finish the shore riders.
- I would like to play some more Temple of Elemental Evil. Preferably with other people, but solo if not.
- I'd also like to play some Rangers of Shadow Deep or Sellswords & Spellslingers. Again, preferably with others, but solo if not.
- I would really love to meet up with some other Oldhammer fans and play some 3rd ed. Or 6th. Or maybe even something else. As long as it's not some sort of competitive tournament.
Well... painting wise, I didn't really do any of it. But I'm OK with that - I had fun painting some other figures (more on that below.) In terms of the three gaming goals, I only did one. But I enjoyed playing Sellswords quite a bit this year! I had hoped to get back to some more gaming in the latter part of the year, but life got hectic. I'm planning on some more solo gaming in 2021. Maybe more Sellswords, maybe something else. Maybe both.
On to the figures painted in 2020. Not all of them, but many of them. It was a decent year for painting. I started two "new" projects -- some generic daemons in the form of Cauldronborn Powrie & some of the old Crucible goblins, and the long overdue Meet Hating Robot Pirates. I added to the troll, half-orc, giant, and undead collections. And then there was Fistborkus -- one of the highlights of my year.
Goals for 2021?
After 2020, I feel like just getting through each day will be good enough. But there are a few things I'd like to paint in the coming year:
- Old World Army Challenge 4. I'm painting oldschool Rogue Trader era Eldar Pirates.
- More Meat Hating Robot Pirates. It took a long time for me to get started on this project, but once I did I started to have fin with it. Plus, if I paint a bunch of figures maybe I can put together some sort of solo games vs. the Eldar as I paint those up.
- I recently received the figures from Midlam's second hobgoblin KS, so they will be joining their comrades above from the first KS, in the half-orc (hob-orc) faction.
- Undead. Obviously.
- A giant. Obviously, again.
- A dragon. I painted one (technically, two) as part of the wood elf OWAC in 2020. I have a few stashed away and have been intimidated by the prospect of painting them. I'd like to give one a shot in 2021.
- Dwarf mercenaries. I failed to get very far on this recently, but I'd like to finish off the small force of landsknecht style dwarfs I've got. I have a scenario idea, as alluded to in my recent Beers Unnumbered entry....
- If I can find the time, I would really enjoy another Sellswords campaign.
- Might like to try a Rangers of Shadow Deep game or campaign to test new solo gaming waters instead.
- As I paint more robots, Eldar, and possibly other sci-fi stuff, I'm looking at possible solo sci-fi games.
- If the stars align (pandemic gets safer, I get some time, etc.) I would LOVE to play a game or two against actual human beings! I had planned on making 2021 the year of "Althammer 2021" and trying to play a bunch of games with friends & acquaintances as a way to celebrate the fact that I turn 50 this year. That's probably not going to happen the way I had intended. But the dream is to still do at least something.
- I want to try my hand at sculpting again in 2021.